Dorm Room Decorating Ideas
Do you have a college bound student? Make their dorm room the best with our inexpensive style solutions.
1. Start with one item that sets the tone for their dorm room. We started with the fabulous picture just above the desk. The colors in that picture include green, orange, pink, teal blue and brown. We limited our bedding, pillows, fabrics, towels, rugs and accessories to those colors.
2. Make their dorm bed super comfy with egg crate padding, memory foam, a feather bed, or a down-alternative mattress pad. Add colorful sheets, a patterned duvet cover or comforter and pillows that pop with color. We used a queen size duvet and cover on a twin bed so it would hang down over the sides of the bed and it won’t fall off easily.
3. Create a faux headboard by stapling patterned fabric to a large canvas frame. Canvas frames are available at art supply stores. We used a 30″ x 40″ size canvas and one yard of fabric that we found for under $10 on Etsy.com.
4. Add an unexpected lamp and homey accessories for a stylized and personal look. We found ours at discounter retailer Tuesday Morning.
5. Cover the standard issue bulletin board with some fun fabric that ties in with the colors you have selected for the room. Use push pins to secure the fabric around the edges.
Do you have a college student that needs a dorm room makeover? Go to the askDECOR Facebook page and continue our discussion.